Sunday

Boys Will Be Boys

Well, Dave had his new perspective and I (Jaclyn) have had my own. It's not nearly as deep or insightful but I thought I'd share it anyway. So, my new perspective on motherhood came on Friday when we were playing with both boys at the playground. As the boys were running around they each managed to find themselves a stick to play with and, of course, Alex being the smaller boy, he had the bigger stick. A couple other neighborhood boys showed up and thus began a similar version of cops and robbers (only here it's Russians vs. Germans). So, as I watched my two boys and three other neighborhood boys running with pointed sticks, shooting each other with the sticks and then turning the sticks into swords and fencing, I had my epiphany. I am not just a mother now, but I am a mother of BOYS, which is an entirely different animal ;) Boys are constantly trying to climb up and then jump off of very high objects. Boys can turn almost anything into a gun or sword and nature exists to be destroyed. So, I have realized that there is a part of my brain that worries about safety and playing nicely that I'm just going to have to turn off and trust that God will keep my two boys safe in spite of their repeated attempts to defy gravity or their need to play with very sharp sticks. So, for all of you mothers of boys that are reading this, I have now officially joined the club of people who just walk around saying things like, "Don't do that...put down that stick...be careful...no, don't hit your sibling..." etc. So, I'm sure my two boys will keep me on my toes and I just hope that I'm not completely gray-haired by the time I get home ;)

4 comments:

Kris said...

lol...I think being a mom to boys probably builds tons of character, of which you already have much. I can't wait to see how your mommyhood shapes your life and your heart. I'm so excited to meet the boys and be an auntie - haha. Keep up the blogging, it's been awesome to read about your God moments and KZ adventures (nice washing machine incident, BTW...lol).

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! It's amazing the difference between boys and girls. Simon may only be a year old but we can already tell the difference. A common phrase in our house is "he's such a BOY!" as he does just the things you were describing. Climbing, then falling, laughing, and repeating! Unlike his sister who may also climb, fall, then cry uncontrollably and need consoling for the next 15 minutes of her dramatic recovery. I must say, if I had my choice, I would take a houseful of boys any day!! I love my little girl... however, I salute any mom who can raise 2,3, or more girls at one time!! Us girls are just plain whiny and dramatic!! I have a feeling you are in for an adventure of a lifetime that I am so looking forward to being a part of. Be for-warned, boys really don't understand or heed to the words "no" or "careful". They really just don't have a spot in their brain that comprehends or processes it, I'm finding! I love reading these stories and will continue checking in every day!!

Love ya!
Julie

Unknown said...

You brought tears to my eyes just reminiscing of all the times you watched me parent my boys. There is something VERY encouraging about you now seeing your very own experiences and epiphanies. Even a friend to commiserate and understand is going to be great in the upcoming years of growth and life. Yeah! Love you guys.

us-in-kenya said...

On a light note, I think it is amazing that your younger son had the bigger stick. You have warriors with a sense of justice and fairness....you are ahead of the game!