Monday

RAD

RAD (or Reactive Attachment Disorder) is pretty common with toddler age kids who've done a stint in an orphanage. We've begun to see some small signs of it in our younger boy, Alex. Now, no need to worry, we were expecting this.

The last few days, we've noticed that Alex tends to horde the food we give him. He usually spends the 2 hours with us with both hands full of apples or crackers, and continues to ask for more. He also won't let us touch the food once we give it to him. Now, this is not because he's not being fed enough - the orphanage does a great job of feeding him - instead, it has more to do with a deep insecurity about being provided for. He also is overly-independent, and has trouble maintaining contact with Mom and Dad (unless it's playful). Now, this may sound like a normal 4 year old, but it's heightened with Alex. Both of these indicators are just a few examples of the trust issues he has, and something we will have to overcome over the years.

We've started to do a few small things while we are here to help. We 'try' to make Alex sit on our lap when he eats. He usually squirms the whole time. We did have a break-through today - Alex shared his snack with Dad - a first!!!

So please keep Alex in your prayers. Pray that he continues to attach to his new Mom and Dad in a healthy way, and that we continue to provide an environment where he can begin to trust us.

2 comments:

us-in-kenya said...

For what its worth, it took Sundi nearly a month to bond with me, even though she took to Kim right away. She would sit on my shoulders occasionally, but God forbid I try to give her a hug or hold her hand. I was pretty torn up about it, but we worked through it and she really loves her Daddy now! (and has him wrapped around her finger, of course).

Anonymous said...

You've developed a great understanding of RAD - how wonderful that you have done your research!! God has been preparing you for these little guys for some time now! I have dealt with little ones with RAD, and am ready and willing to help with behavior plans as we talked about. But I did want to add one thing...no matter what anyone tells you, it is NOT impossible to work through it. I have had children with various emotional disorders come into my classroom with notes in their files saying things like, "Unteachable" and "Unable to love or connect with others". However, as I truly believe that nothing is impossible with God, I made it my mission to prove these people wrong. Lo and behold, didn't these little guys become some of my best buds, bonding to me like they wouldn't with so many others. Then the thought dawned on me, why would they WANT to bond with someone who had the attitudes toward them that they were "unteachable" or "unloving". I know I wouldn't! Keep working through those little steps and don't give up! Your persistence and strong spirits will see these boys through the toughest of days!!

Love Julie