Saturday

The Last Stage

So, we are finally on the last stage of our adoption journey (the KZ part at least). Tomorrow (Sunday) we fly with the kids to Almaty. On Monday we'll get them checked out by an American doctor, and on Tuesday we'll visit the US consulate where the kids will get US visas. On Wed. morning, we board a flight for the USA!!!

Petropavlovsk did leave us some parting gifts. All day today and tomorrow morning we (and the entire city) has NO running water - another benefit of communism. Needless to say it has been fun having the four of us share a toilet that we cannot flush. We took this opportunity to expose the kids to one of the perks of being a boy - peeing outside. Let just say Alex 'christened' the neighborhood playground, with full parental support. :)

We do really still need your prayers. We are very anxious about tomorrow's flight and the longer flight home on Wed. In the last two days the boys have been the most out of control we have seen them, and we are as tired as we have ever felt. We hope this is just nerves about the impending airplane ride, but we really need them to 'behave' while on these flights and while we are in a hotel room in Almaty. Thankfully, we have handled the last few days of torment much better than last time - truly a gift from God.

Also continue to keep Jaclyn in your prayers. We've been running non-stop keeping the boys inline that she's had a rocky time processing her father's death.

We just long for the sweet sight of the Dulles airport runway beneath us.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY YAY YAY!!!!! I am so excited!!! I actually have written in my calendar for this week, "Dave and Jaclyn home?". The question mark was for the pending date...I will now erase it! As hard as it may be, try not to stress too much about the trip. The calmer you are, the calmer the boys will be. They're like animals...they sense stress and danger!! LOL! Remind yourselves not to worry about others criticizing any behavior..what matters is that you get home safely. Other people can think what they wish...they don't know the incredible journey you and your boys are just beginning. However, that said I will definitely pray hard for calmness and a smooth ride home for your sakes!

I can't wait to see all 4 of you!! Homestretch in sight!! Give hugs to Jaclyn! I'm praying for her as well in this time of grief and will continue to do so when she is really able to process it all upon returning home. Love you guys!!

Love Julie

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!! Glad to hear the end is near. I think we all fear that plane ride home with children we are still getting to know and with parenting skills that are still in the infancy stage.

I just kept telling myself that if Daniil acted out these people did not know me, they couldn't kick us off a plane in the air and it would all end in landing at home.... It was stressful because I was exhausted, had spent the week in Almaty with a kid who cried everytime I stopped moving and would not sleep in the new apartment. I had no idea if we actually had a seat on the plane until I got in line at the airport (which leaves in the middle of night) or if John got my message that we were coming home sooner than expected and would be at the airport to pick us up.

It went better than expected and although I had not slept in 48 hours it was the best feeling to know I would be home......

We will pray for a smooth transition to Almaty then home. Remember - kids will be kids. Buy a bag of M & M's/cheeto's and ration off one or two of them as a reward for good behavior from time to time. Or whatever treat they enjoy.

Jane

Unknown said...

Coloring books, mazes, tic tac toe, cards, their own book bag with books for reading, like Janie said, candy in rations, or granola bars, wipes, dvd's, collection of made up games, maybe an electronic game with adjustable volume, and yes we will keep praying as you prepare for the flight.

stacey said...

I'm so excited for you..I can't wait for you to return and for your family to be "home". I will definitly be praying for your safe & sane return to the USA!