Sunday

Inducted into Motherhood

Well, if motherhood was a sorority there would be a hazing event shortly after you joined, right? I can now officially claim motherhood because I have undergone said hazing event. In the last two days I have cleaned up both blood and urine and have done at least 5 loads of laundry! Our youngest, Alex, usually thinks he's much bigger than he is and is always trying to play with the older kids at the playground. Well, yesterday he was playing on this big jungle gym thing and he was running across a bridge and tripped and face planted right into a plank of wood. When he stood up, blood was just pouring from his nose and I had to carry him up 5 flights of stairs to get him all cleaned up and to put all of his bloody clothes in the laundry. Keep in mind one shirt and one pair of shorts equals one load in our tiny washer. Well, that was not the end of the drama because about twenty minutes later he said he needed to use the toilet and I raced him up those 5 flights again and right as we got in our hallway and we were literally ten steps from the toilet he just couldn't hold it anymore and just started peeing in the hall. Well, our washing machine actually takes almost three hours to get through one load and it had only been twenty to thirty minutes so I had to just make a pile of pee-laundry in the corner and we had already used up all of Alex's clean clothes so I had to put him in some of Ethan's.

That whole day was very traumatic for poor Alex and it's seemed to cause a bit of a regression because today we've had two more pee-incidents and somehow I'm always the lucky one who gets to deal with it. Good 'ole "mom to the rescue" right? It's so sad because the poor little guy always tells us that he needs to use the toilet beforehand but lately, he only gives a couple minutes notice before he just starts peeing. Today, he started peeing as I'm lifting him onto the toilet and yes he got me. So, I've officially been bled on and peed on and I'm just waiting to be thrown up on. I'm considering myself officially hazed and officially part of the sisterhood of women who have no fear of bodily fluids. Now, some of you may be wondering where Dave was in all of this. Trust me he's no slacker but all of these incidents seem to occur when we are outside and someone has to stay with Ethan, so luck of the draw fell to me. But he has been drooled on (right into his mouth) by Alex, and almost had his right nipple bitten off - again by Alex - so he hasn't missed out on all the fun. Anyway, I've managed to keep my sense of humor throughout all this and just thought that all you other mothers would get a laugh out of my hazing into motherhood :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the funniest thing!!! Though, I'm sure in the moment..or moments actually, you were not laughing so much! You've been bled on more than me, it sounds like! Mine are still too little for those type of injuries! I have yet to be puked on...oh, wait..I lied! I almost forgot the morning I let Simon eat too much breakfast after he had a whole formula bottle and he projectile vomited an ocean of milk and baby food all over my lap!

As for Alex, I bet he's having too much fun to stop and go to the bathroom! Sadie has been potty trained herself for 6 months without any accidents and she had one the other day while playing with her cousin. Sometimes they just don't want to miss out on any fun so they wait til the last possible minute to let you know!

Sigh..just think how nice it will be when you get home to a full size washer and that pile of clothes doesn't equal 5 loads! Although, be warned, it does multiply when you are not looking!! You will be amazed how many clothes you go through in a week! Thanks for sharing! It makes me feel like you aren't so far away! Can't wait to see you soon!!

Love Julie

Emily said...

SO SORRY that you you had to go through it, but WELCOME to the world of being a Mommy!!! as if you weren't already included, but I guess as you said...it's official!
We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better, I've had a baby throw up in my mouth before... and I'm not even a mom yet. Note to self: never lay on your back and bounce a baby above you right after feeding him.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh!!!! Having a good sense of humor over bodily fluids and loads of laundry will take you far!

Jane

McElroy's said...

Not only mothers but fathers are getting a big laugh as well.

Unknown said...

Yes, it's true, I have no fear of bodily fluids. It's something amazing that we are able to just deal with whatever for the benefit of love. "And they will call her blessed" And now we know why. It's messy, this thing called life. And filled with good stories! I hope you get lots more good stories! I also hope Alex is able to give you better notice.

stacey said...

I'm laughing and feeling bad for you all at the same time. Drool in the mouth..doesn't sound good. That almost happened to me. I closed my mouth just in time. Miss you guys lots!

The Whites said...

So the good news is, by 10 they generally keep their bodily fluids to themselves. The bad news is, you have a long way to go until 10. :)

Maryland Mom aka "MiMi" said...

Diane, it may interest you to know that your comment gave me a flashback to long ago when Jaclyn's dad was holding her above his head after I fed her and....not a pretty sight.

Well, you know the saying, "What goes around coumes around." Seems like in Jaclyn's case it picked up some speed on the way back around!